The competition offers the selected academic startups the chance to showcase themselves to an audience of (international) investors and businesses. The startups that are in the race to become one of the best Academic Startups and will participate in an unique program of workshops, promotion track and peer to peer learning to help the founders to accelerate the growth and scalability of their business. They will be introduced to the innovation ecosystem, and help them develop a network of peers, experts, and mentors.
- You are an academic startup with the ambition and potential to be disruptive and scale internationally within the coming 5 years
- You are a successful transfer from science/technology developed at a Dutch University, University Medical Center, KNAW, NWO institute or TO2
- You are registered at the Chamber of Commerce
- You are maximum 5 years in incorporation
- You are present at both the Inspiration Event & Grand Finale
- You have not won the Academic Startup Competition Award in previous editions. You are not allowed to compete in future competitions using the same company. Winners may only participate in future competitions when pitching a new company
As a winner you receive multiple grand prizes:
- You are announced as one of the ‘’most promising Academic Startups of 2022”
- You will enter a new high quality network of experts and other founders in the field of academic entrepreneurship and relevant domains in which you operate
- You enroll in a unique program of expert training relevant for startups to go to the next phase, and peer to peer learning to help the founders to accelerate the growth and scalability of their business. Helping you develop your network of peers, experts, and mentors
- Lastly, as a winner you are awarded with a tailor-made business trip to the USA, offered by the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy. Meeting relevant hubs, experts and parties in San Francisco, Boston, LA, and more!
Application deadline is on August 15, 2022. The timeline is as follows:
Once a company has won a prior Academic Startup competition award, they will not be allowed to compete in future competitions using the same company. Winners may only participate in future competitions if pitching a new company.
The Academic Startup Competition looks for startup companies that are linked to the world of academia. We provide a stage for academic entrepreneurs from all fields. Leading from deep-tech, to SDG-focused, to social startups.
The ASC aims to valorize academic startups in their respective fields, whilst also wanting to connect them with startups from other fields. Sharing skills, knowledge and expertise is why we want to include various and diverse organizations into our network. We do this by giving national and international recognition to academic startups that provide innovative solutions to global challenges.
This year’s grand prize, the tailor-made business trip to the USA, is the optimal way of connecting the Dutch and American startup ecosystem, which are among the two highest ranked in the world.
Click here to find the Terms & Conditions for this Academic Startup Competition 2022.