The competition offers the selected academic startups the chance to showcase themselves to an audience of (international) investors and businesses. The startups that are in the race to become one of the best Academic Startups and will participate in an unique program of workshops, promotion track and peer to peer learning to help the founders to accelerate the growth and scalability of their business. They will be introduced to the innovation ecosystem, and help them develop a network of peers, experts, and mentors.
- You have the ambition and potential to be disruptive and scale internationally within the coming 5 years. In the case of biotechnology, biomedical or medical projects, the company needs to be on the market within 7 years.
- You are a successful transfer from science/technology developed at a Dutch University, University Medical Center, KNAW, NWO institut or TO2.
- You are maximum 3 years in incorporation
- You are registered at the chamber of Commerce
- Once you prior won the Academic Startup Competition Award, you are not allowed to compete in future competitions using the same company. Winners may only participate in future competitions if pitching a new company.
The winners are announced to be mentioned as one of “The best Academic Startup of 2020”. You will participate in an unique program of workshops, a promotion track and peer to peer learning to help the founders to accelerate the growth and scalability of their business. They will be introduced to the innovation ecosystem, and help them develop a network of peers, experts, and mentors.
The winning startups will be awarded with an online program to attend the incubator track organised by the Consulate General of San Francisco. This dedicated program is designed for the 10 winners of the Academic Startup Competition 2020, offered by the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy. The startups will learn about the latest Technologies and business innovations in their area of focus, along with how to do business across the United States.
Application deadline is on September 13, 2020. Selection will be done based on filled in application form by selection committee. The competition consists of four stages.
- Applications are open from 31th of August till 13th of September.
- October 2020 – Pitchday : From all applications the best 20 will be get a program during CES Unveiled including a pitchtraing, workshops and matchmaking. You will pitch in front of a jury.
- November 2020 – Promotion tour: The jury will select the best 10 startups and each startup will be highlighted indivually through an online campaign.
- December 2020 – Incubator program: A unique online program, composed by the Consulate of San Francisco, to help you grow your business and build a community. Get in contact with the customers, investors or experts you can’t reach and get insights into the US market. This program is supported by the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy.
- January 2020 – ImpactFestival: During this second event day you will meet with peer-entrepreneurs, alumni of last year.
Once a company has won a prior Academic Startup competition award, they will not be allowed to compete in future competitions using the same company. Winners may only participate in future competitions if pitching a new company.
Read this information to see if you fit the profile of our mentorrole. I you would like to become mentor, you can send you CV and motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “application mentor for ASC 2020”.